Wednesday, 6 May 2015

How To Make A Lego Table


We've recently been giving Riley's bedroom a makeover as it hadn't been decorated since before he was born so it still looked very much like a nursery, Riley turns 5 in August so we thought it was time he had a more grown up room, if you follow me on Instagram you will have had a sneaky peek at some of the bits from his new room but it's not totally finished yet so I'll blog about it when it's complete.

As part of Riley's room makeover we were faced with the dilemma of what to do with his wooden train set table, he's never really played with it much, it had been stored in our conservatory so it was a bit sun bleached and we really weren't sure what to do with it. 


We decided we were either going to take it to the tip or try and make it work in Riley's new room, I felt like it was too good a table to just throw away so I began thinking about what I could do to it to make it fit in with his room and also turn it into something he would actually use so I turned to good old Pinterest for some inspiration and as usual it didn't let me down.

Riley has just recently really gotten into Lego and whilst searching Pinterest for ideas I came across lots of Lego tables and I knew straight away that this would make a perfect Lego table, it's a good size, it's sturdy and it has raised sides to keep the Lego contained and off the floor plus I know it's something that Riley and his cousins will play with for years to come.

After a bit of research I popped out to get everything I needed for the makeover, here's what I got


I went to B&Q and got some black wood paint as I figured that would be the best colour to paint the table to match his new room and I also picked up some Gorilla Glue to stick the base plates to the table. Then I bought some green Lego base plates from John Lewis and I ended up having to get the blue Lego base plates on Ebay because I couldn't find them in any shops.

We started by sanding down the paint work and then applied 2 coats of black paint, we left it for 24 hours to dry and then it was time to glue down the base plates. I had measured the table and worked out that I needed 6 large green base plates and 2 large blue base plates however I could only get my hands on the smaller blue ones so I actually needed 4 of those, the green ones fit perfectly onto the table without the need to cut them but we needed to cut some off the blue ones to make them fit at the end of the table.

A super duper important tip when gluing the base plates on to the table is to space them properly so that the bricks can fit perfectly across all of the joins, if you push the base plates right up against each other a Lego brick will not fit on the join, you need to leave a tiny gap between each base plate and the easiest way to work out the gap is to pop a Lego brick across the joins before you glue them down.


When it came to cutting the blue base plates I discovered you can actually cut them with scissors which made life easier, after all of the plates were glued in place we put some heavy books on top of them to make sure they stuck down well and left it for 24 hours.

And here's the finished table, I'm really pleased with it and Riley was over the moon, he couldn't wait to play with it.



XXX

2 comments:

  1. I absolutely love this, I'm sure that Riley will have hours of fun with it! x
    Steph | www.raisingemily.net

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great way to revamp the table, I may have to keep an eye out for one of these now :D

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...